2002 yamaha f40bwht problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 yamaha f40bwht problem

hi to everyone this is my first post . the other day i was to go boating so i decided to start my 40hp motor first before hooking up trailer etc , the motor had not been started for about 2/3 months so i charged the battery and started the motor no problems on start up after about 1/2 minutes of running with the water going through the motor it started to make a whining sound for about 15 seconds and then went away the water from the water spout at the top of motor had water coming out as normal . about 1 week later i tried again and noticed it did the same thing this time about 5 seconds and again went away the sound seems to be coming from the leg above the fins that are in the water and beneath the motor top it sound like something is dry and goes away when oil or water gets to it should i worry about it or just use it more often .thanking you all in advance .

Hard to say, change gearcase oil and check for water or metal in oil. May have to remove gearcase and check water pump and grease drive shaft splines and bushing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Driveshaft nylon bushing probarly to tight.Need to take down lower unit and inspect.Usualy pressed together by salt and corrosion.Located about 10-15cm above impeller housing.

Comment

thanks for your reply. ill look into your suggestion and get back with my findings thanks again

Comment

thanks Arnie ill follow up on your suggestions and get back with my findings.thanks again

Comment

yamaha outboard

Originally posted by arny View Post
            Driveshaft nylon bushing probarly to tight.Need to take down lower unit and inspect.Usualy pressed together by salt and corrosion.Located about 10-15cm above impeller housing.
            thanks arnie is this a job i can do myself , also do you know where i can buy a workshop manual for my motor so i could do the job. thanks again

Comment

yamaha outboard

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              Hard to say, change gearcase oil and check for water or metal in oil. May have to remove gearcase and check water pump and grease drive shaft splines and bushing.
              dont know if you received my thanks ,do you know were i could buy a yamaha 40hp 4 stroke workshop manual from. i think id need a manual to do any work . thanks again.

Comment

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

Look up the manual # you need and then do some searching or just order it from local Yamaha dealer or online

Comment

Working...
                X