Odd tach anyone know these wire colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd tach anyone know these wire colors

Ok I figured out how to get the pics on here, What I was wondering is if anyone has seen these odd wire colors on a yamaha lcd tach gauge and if so what wires control what functions. The wires are as follows:
    On the long connector Brown/White, Brown/yellow, Black/orange. On the shorter connector Yellow/blue, Black/red, Green/red. Then there is a seperate Grey wire and a seperate lavender or purpleish wire. then it also has the Blue and black wires for lighting. any help would be greatly appreciated. The only markings on the outside of this gauge are 883 and the # on the circuit board is 6YE 8358E-00 thanks in advance for any info!
    Attached Files

That tach was for the older 80-early 90 model motors and not compatable with newer models, you could connect the green,yellow, black wires to key switch and get rpm's but that is about it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

93 yamaha gauge

I bought this gauge for a 93 yamaha, i guess its the wrong one, even though it looks like a newer model than the original gauge. my next question would be can i replace the lcd in my original gauge with this one? or would i be better off just buying another. I am a skilled aircraft mechanic/electrician. thanks for the help. I was told this gauge would fit all 88-94 outboards apperently not.
      Last edited by crosswind7; 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM.

Comment

If tach in boat has same type of connectors as one you bought it will work.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok the connectors are the same and gauge works but trim meter flashes but does work and the center warning flashes. is this a water temp warning? The speedometer gauge is wired for water temp. What is the different warning symbols on these two gauges? the symbols are different. any ideas on how to fix the flashing. Here are the pics of new and old gauge. thanks in advance.
          Attached Files

Comment

The old engines used a 4 wire trim sender and then changed to a 3 wire sender so probably wont get trim to work. May get oil level light to work but may not get temp light to work.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X