Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for changing drive shaft bearings/seals

Hello all.

I've got a 2003 8MSHB 8 hp. While doing a maintenance replacement of the water ump, I noticed a very deteriorated top oil seal on the drive shaft. Took the lower plate off and saw more corrosion than could be cleaned up, so decided to replace the bearing housing which includes replacing the 2 oil seals and the bearing. I've never messed with seals and bearings before. The seals are rubber, so they don't seem like too much of a challenge to insatall. However, I do not know what I'm up against to replace the shaft bearing. Are there special tools required, or can I insert the bearing using standard tools? Any ideas or suggestions for getting this bearing in? The lower seal appears like it needs to go in first, so heating of the housing to enlarge the hole is not an option. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Best to use the Yamaha bearing and Yamaha seal driver to press bearings and seals in to right depth.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Any idea where to acquire such tools? I don't see my self using these tools too often. Didn't see anything jump out at me on-line. If they are pricey, maybe I should just take parts to a Yamaha shop. Thoughts?

Thx much.

Comment

You can call boats.net at 877-408-1499 for quote on tool prices.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by skimmerroo View Post
          Any idea where to acquire such tools? I don't see my self using these tools too often. Didn't see anything jump out at me on-line. If they are pricey, maybe I should just take parts to a Yamaha shop. Thoughts?

Thx much.
          Special tools, methods and expertise to these repairs, so if it was my motor, I'd remove the lower unit and take it to the Yamaha dealer for bearings/seals replacement. Good Luck!

Comment

typically on the small yamaha motors it requires drive shaft removal PRIOR to drive shaft bearing housing removal.

Comment

On the 2003 8HP, the housingon the drive shaft came off fine without messing with the drive shaft. Just unbolt the housing, break the gasket/goop seal, and lift it off. Both seals are intact, as well as the bearing. But in my case, the housing around the upper seal was corroded enough to warrant replacement, which means you must do the seal sand bearing as well. There is no assembly to purchase with the bearing and seals installed. Bummer.

Comment

Working...
              X