wiring harness color codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring harness color codes

I have a two part question about a wiring harness issue I'm having on a 2005 F115TXRD. 10 pin harness.

Part 1: The 10 pin harness that comes from the controls to the engine harness has of course ten wires but the engine harness only has nine. Once I match all colors I have a blue wire left. What does this wire go to or is it just extra?

Part 2: The reason for the first question is the pins in both of my harness have corroded away. This is the second time this has happen in a year and I have no idea why. The boat is only used in salt water 1-2 times a year, there is no other corrosion in the engine compartment. Any ideas what could be causing this??

I was boating Friday/Sat and had to cut both harness plugs off and used butt connects to get the engine back up and running. I have ordered new harnesses but would like to use the boat until the parts come in. I just want to make sure I have eveything wired correctly.
    Last edited by snookfish; 09-09-2012, 01:19 PM.

see if this might help, not sure if it covers your F 2005 though
    Wiring Color Codes for YAMAHA Outboard Motors.

maybe it is choke as you probably do not have that on the 2005
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-17-2017, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Thank you!!!! I spent 2 hours yesterday googling everything I could think of to get this wiring chart. My repairs on the lake got me home but I was concerned about damage to the engine if I missed something. The blue pin on the engine harness was empty so you may be correct.

Have you heard of harnesses going bad like this. The last time I replaced it was Oct last year and I even sealed the top of the plug with liquid tape to help prevent any water from getting into it.

Comment

Never heard of that happening that fast.
        Did you fill connectors with grease to keep moisture out?
        not sure what Yamaha uses, but I remember Johnnyrude's used a blue dielectric grease to help seal air and moisture out of connectors

Comment

Yes I used a synthetic elec.grease, don't recall the brand. The harness was still full of grease but three pins had corroded away. Last time I only changed the control harness, maybe something very corrosive was still in the engine plug harness. If it goes bad again I think I will go back to butt connectors.

Comment

Working...
          X