Need urgent help yamaha 25hp leaking carb and high idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need urgent help yamaha 25hp leaking carb and high idle

I need some help guys. I recently cleaned my carbs because we had a breakdown on the lake where i found water and a bit of debris in my fuel and filter. I removed the carbs and didn't find any debris, but in the process i broke off one of my air adjusting screws on one of the carbs. I replaced that and adjusted it to factory specs as per "rodbolts" recommendation on another old post. I went to test the motor today and it started right up, but was idling at 1350 rpms when it used to idle at 700. I could get the idle to come down to 1000 if i quickly turned the choke on and off, and then after a 30 seconds it would creep back up. I didn't adjust any of the linkage setting for the carbs. I also noticed the bottom carb, also the one that i had broke the air screw off, was leaking fuel from what appeared to be the bottom of that carb. It was a slow drip. The drain screw felt tight. I removed the carbs and i'm going to check them tonight. Could i have possibly jarred the float while i had the carb in all sorts of positions while i was trying to remove that broken air screw? What are the symptoms of a stuck float? I wan't to get this thing together and running for a Saturday boat camping trip. It seemed to rev up fine, it just had a fast idle that wouldn't come down, plus the leaking fuel. Anything obvious to you guys? I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Probably need to replace bowl and drain screw gaskets to stop leak, may have torn intake gasket as well. Recheck linkage connections, snyc and adjust carb as needed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Think i got it figured. I removed the bottom carb and tore it down. Cleaned everything and retorqued the bottom bowl screws and reinstalled everything. I think i do need a new bowl drain screw washer because it was weeping unless it was tourqued down tight. Not leaking now. I adjusted the idle a touch but didn't touch the linkage adjustment. At the lowest throttle position it drops to 600 rpms, but i'll just manually turn the throttle a little to bring it up to the 750 recommended in the manual. Going out for a test run. So far no hiccups in the driveway, seems to be running fine. I'm running amsoil hp marine at 50:1 with ring free. This motor is new to me and has low hours, but after my episode of water in my gas and leaving us stranded, a mini 10 fuel separator filter is being installed in a day or two. Thanks for the help "boats.net" Take care

Comment

Best to follow the service manuals procedures for sync and link every time you reinstall carbs

Comment

I would do that but I don't have a service manual. Is there a good link where I could read how to do it?

Comment

Working...
          X