Onboard chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard chargers

I usually disconnect the cranking battery completely from the boat ciruits when charging my cranking battery for my 2001 Yam 90TLR. Can I leave the cables connected and safely charge with an onboard charger without fearing damage to the motor regulator and stator?

Yes, no need to disconnect cables.

Mike

Comment

Bobber,
      Mike is right - no need to disconnect the battery before charging. But you might consider installing a battery kill switch. Just a simple single pole/double throw switch that will kill power to the motor and all accessories after you get off the water. It's just a matter of time before you mistakingly leave an accessory switch on, or a power t/t tilt switch shorts out when you are not around; or worse, when you are trailering the boat down the highway (it has happened). A battery kill switch is a good idea.
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the advice about the cables and kill switch As I fish, I drain my cranking batter down running pumps etc., and never run long enough to put the charge back to the motor. Thinking about installing a combo switch that I can select to 1.kill all power, 2 switch engine and accessories power over to the *****ing battery 3. Run boat normally on the crank battery. That way I am always sure to have a good battery for starting. I assume one would not want to try and charge both batteries off the engine, so I would keep the little red wire going to just the cranking battery only. Just want to avoid causing any damage.

Comment

Bobber,
          If you have a 12 volt *****ing motor, then just connect a common ground between batt1 and batt2. Use the battery switch to select which one you want as the cranking battery. You could "hard wire" the ***** motor to batt2 and the accessories to batt1, and use the batt switch to select which one for the cranking batt.
          It's ok to charge both batteries with the outboard, you just don't want to put them in parallel and charge at the same time.
          Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
          Ken K

Comment

Gotcha, thanks for all of the advice.

Comment

Also to minimize hydrogen gases I remove the caps while charging,and maintain the proper water level

Comment

Working...
              X