will not pump water 50LTR 2 CYCLE 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not pump water 50LTR 2 CYCLE 2006

Just bought boat w/ 2006 50 hp 2 cycle. Started and no water pumping. SO I did some reading and replaced the water pump housing, face plate, impleller, started and no water. Checked the pee tube & clear to the engine. Connected compressed air to the engine side where the Pee hose connects, but I don't feel air coming out where I thought the water should be drawn into the engine. I saw some threads that implied rabbit ears could not be used. New to working on outboards. HELP

Next would be to remove, inspect, clean or replace the thermostat and pressure control valve.

Comment

will not pump

Where would they be located at? Near the foot or up top?

Comment

Usually at/near the top of the cylinder head(s) for Tstat(s).

Pull the schematic on here for you specific motor, and it will point out exacttly where.

Comment

water flow

Well surprise, surprise There was no thermostat, so I took off the side plate to see if it was clogged, but it was clear. I took off the foot and rechecked the impeller, all looked ok. I connected my rabbit ears to the foot (still off the motor) on the left side, turned the hose on, and to my surprise hardly no water flow. I switched to the left side, and got some, but not a lot. So I put it all togeather, connected on the left side and no water. I then filled up a trash can, because I read some where this was the best way to track down water flow problems and it shot water from the pee hole like a drunken sailor. Makes no sense to me, but the water from the pee hole was warm/hot, just do not under stand why. Hopethis helps some other novice!!

Comment

you need to put a good stat in, all water cooled motors need the restriction of the stat to force water into all areas to cool properly.

Strange about your ears not working as my C40TLRX works fine on the hose, maybe it is the style of ears

Comment

water flow

It is strange, I have 2 other boats and these same ears work fine!!I'm thinking maybe the impeller housing needed to get primed for the first time. however I am going to replace the t-stat, cause it cut off several times like it was cold!

Comment

may need carb cleaning if pilot jets/passages are plugging.This motor should have the prime start enrichment system so that may need cleaning up too

No way of telling what all the last owner has done to this motor if they removed stat and left out.
                Hope he was not trying to overcome/hide some other overheating problem.

But your replacing water pump and housing may have already taken care of that.
                Good luck

Comment

I have the same year and size motor and only way to get it to pee is in the bucket. The ears do not work on it because the fins are so close together that not enough space to allow good water flow. When in bucket or in use in the lake it pees like a race horse so no worries. Though mine does not pee hot water.
                  Last edited by Taylormade; 11-22-2013, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X