High pitched whine: Yamaha F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pitched whine: Yamaha F150

I have a 2006 Yamaha F150 four stroke engine. Lately, I hear a high pitch whine that sounds like a belt or pulley spinning. I do not hear it when engine is idling in neutral. When we put it in gear and go slow, perhaps 2000 rpm, the whine is there. Back to neutral, it disappears.

Any ideas? I don't think there is a pulley or belt is there?

Could be a belt, idler pulley, belt tensioner pulley, lots of things....maybe run motor with top cowling off and try to identify source of the sound. Maybe nothing is wrong...lots going on back there at 2000+RPM's. I've heard sounds and noises from my 90HP Yamaha and my wife said, "stop being paranoid about that motor, there's nothing wrong with it"....and she was right!

Comment

Check in with a Yamaha shop, I believe on F150 the balancer starts makeing noises as it comes apart and plugs the oil pump pick up screen and the the motor goes poof

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        Check in with a Yamaha shop, I believe on F150 the balancer starts makeing noises as it comes apart and plugs the oil pump pick up screen and the the motor goes poof
        What's a balancer?

Comment

Someone suggested it was the lower unit bearing.....does that sound right? Would that make a high pitched spinning whine?

Comment

Might do some forum searching and reading, here is one to start with

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...0-th15423.html

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              Might do some forum searching and reading, here is one to start with

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...0-th15423.html

Thanks. I had found that post and read through it, and even watched the video clip and listened to his whine. Mine is higher pitched and different.
              So I am not sure mine is a balancer problem, whatever that is.

Comment

I noted on my 175 HP a vibration whine before I serviced it and found when we pulled the drive off to replace the water pump that the guide brearing on the shaft was wiped out totally. Caught it in time luckly before other damage. Had to freeze the bearing before putting it back on for a good tip.

Comment

i had the same high pitched noise, and the flywheel was loose

Comment

you have a belt tensioner that can fail,easy to find.
                    the drive shaft bushing can get corrosion between the housing and the bushing causing the bushing to collapse and rub on the drive shaft, easy to identify and fix, no need to freeze anything as its a bronze bushing mounted in rubber and retainrd with a circlip.
                    however if you not sure you need to find a tech familiar with a balancer failing.
                    the part is about 360 dollars and takes about 1.5 hours to replace.
                    when it fails it typically takes the powerhead with it.
                    so far the balancer failure rate on units prior to the 08-09 run is about 100 %.
                    last week we changed on on an 2011 with just over 100 hours.
                    lots of things to look at.
                    drive shaft bushing will squeal in or out of the water.\
                    squirt 30wt motor oil on the drive shaft at the steering tiller and let it run down the shaft,if the noise goes away its the shaft bushing.

Comment

Working...
                    X