Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

guages flickering, possible ignition fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guages flickering, possible ignition fail?

Hello,
    I posted this on THT, but figure I would put up here as well. On Sunday, I ran my boat after doing a full rewire. Motor is a 2002 115 TXRA. I have had to deal with the wiring several times over the last 10 years so I am pretty familiar with where things go. As we left the dock, I noticed the motor seemed sluggish and the newly added gauges (aftermarket tach, fuel and volt) stopped working. Shut the motor off and looked in the console. I noticed a couple connectors were loose. I tightened them up, boat fired up and ran great all day. I figured it running sluggish was due to a bad ground from the black ignition wire coming from the ignition (maybe)

When I got back home, I went through everything one more time to make sure it was good and tight. Started it up and ran in with the hose, no issues. However its still bugged me as to why it did this. These connections were loose, but not that loose. I want to know what would basically throw the motor into limp mode.

so that is question 1: Will a faulty ground throw the buzzer on? If not, why would the buzzer go off?

This morning, I started tinkering around with it. I turned on the ignition (not started the motor) and let it sit. The fuel and volt meter would start flickering. I noticed that if I turned the key a little to the left or right, it would flicker.

Question 2: Is that normal?

Finally, I started the engine, guages worked fine, started turning thing the ignition just a little and the gauges would start bouncing. I believe its the ignition.

Question 3: Is there a way to test this out? I want to isolate this to the problem as its 130 dollar part and dont want to buy one if its not the problem.

Thanks

Joe

Bad wiring or bad ground at gauge should not affect the way engine runs or activate alarm, a bad ignition switch might.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

will a low batt voltage/bad cables cause an alarm ?

Comment

The 1990-95 models had loose battery warning but 2002 models didn't.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X