rough idle Yamaha 1998 2 stroke 200hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rough idle Yamaha 1998 2 stroke 200hp

Boat capsized and engine was wet for a few hours. Engine pickled and flush by seatow mechanic. However, even after cleaning carburators the engine has a hard time running at low rpm. A friend recommended to check with Yamaha tech to see if there would be any electronic parts which could be either damaged or with a shortened life span due to being submerged in salt water. All new spark plugs. I am really puzzled. Please help.

Motor submerged in salt water for a few hours will start corrosion on electronic parts and connections that may cause problems and failure at a later date, even after rinsing and flushing....not a good situation!

Comment

sev

Thanks for responding. Is there any specific parts that we should target right of the bat?

Comment

engine pickled, how bout the tank ??
        try feeding the motor fresh gas and boost up the oil a bit

i had one of my boats sink.... didnt "think" the oil tanks took on any water.....

Comment

sevcairok

Thanks for responding. I have spent countless hours trying to run engine of a small portable gas tank but as soon as the rpm goes under 1k the engine stops cold. The on board gas tank needs cleaning it is probably 30% salt water. But I want to concentrate on the engine first. Fellows, anyone with experience with this type of problem please advise. At this point i will try anything.
          Thanks,
          Sev

Comment

Spray lots of WD40 on everything. Take carbs off again and clean them. Small amount of water can choke idle circuit passages.

Comment

injector cleaner worrks wonders

If you add carburetor/injector cleaner to your fuel it may remove remaining water or gunk. water will not go through the jets on a carburetor. Sounds like carburetor problems to me. good luck

Comment

two strokes are finicky

One carburetor plugged will cause amazing problems

Comment

may want to ohm test plug caps as well
                  have you puled one plug wire at a time, ensuring rpm drop ?
                  also try choking each carb throat with your finger to locate a clogged carb
                  check lp pumps also

Comment

sevcairok

Hey fellows, thanks for your overwhelming responses. I can't wait until the weekend to go at it again.
                    Sev

Comment

As crazy as it sounds, I recommend washing down your entire engine exterior with fresh water and soap. (try not to flood carbs and air boxes)

You want to get as much of the salt residue off everything you can, as soon as you can. Much like you would wash an aluminum trailer, or flush a motor out after running in salt.

We race hydroplanes, and after any salt water race...EVERYTHING gets a thorough bath with soap & water. Under decks, all systems, engine exteriors, etc. A month after the race, still find things corroded, even after washing many times. If we crash....and stuff is submerged, it is even worse.

Once washed with fresh water, then spray everything down with CRC, mineral spirits, or WD40 to coat for corrosion prevention. Once back runnign, this light coating will cook off with heat under cowl.

Also, might want to have carbs removed and completely cleaned. Salt will get caught in jets, and play havoc on needle and seat, etc. (Assume carbed 2stroke?)

Comment

starter,stator assy, all wiring connectors as well as all fuel system components NEED to be removed,dissasembled,cleaned sprayed with an anti-corrosion spray and reassembled.
                        otherwise failure is assured.

Comment

Don't forget fuel pumps on engine. May have water/dirt in them as well.

Comment

sevcairok

Thanks everyone for all the tips received. I have gone all over them carefully.
                            After two weeks now i have a problem. The starter won't even move when turning ignition on. I tested + volts good to one side of the started solenoid. But no + volts on the side that connects to the starter motor. Any ideas?
                            I really apreciate your help.
                            Thanks for your inputs gents.
                            Sev

Comment

and the failures begen.
                              did you ever dissasemble the starter,stator and pulser coil assy?

Comment

Working...
                              X