Johnson Evinrude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johnson Evinrude

I have an old Johnson Evinrude 35HP which I am struggling to get the bottom leg off of, the engine is now running and I am worried that the impeller is not working. I cannot check when its running as I cant put muffs on it because the outlet for the water sits under the cavitation plate. Would any one have any advice? I think the motor is mid 50's or 60's

Put it in water or at least run motor in a tub of water, Parts for that old of motor are probably no longer available, 1968 is the oldest parts catalog we have.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Some of the discount stores sell cheap black plastic 55 gallon trash cans for about $8...pretty darn good to run your motor in... comes with a nice snap on lid and it's also good to store boat gear, life preservers, etc. Good Luck with your old motor!

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Fenwick View Post
        cannot check when its running as I cant put muffs on it because the outlet for the water sits under the cavitation plate. Would any one have any advice? I think the motor is mid 50's or 60's
        The suggestion on using a trash can is a good one. Make sure the gearcase is underwater up to the point where the gearcase meets the exhaust housing(where the gearcase bolt heads are).

Impellers for you motor- there are 2 types- are still available. An Evinrude dealer has old parts and parts kits in thier annual Parts and Accessories catalog that they get from the factory every year.

Comment

I have had it in a drum but my ptob is how do i see if the impeller is pumping water out or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Fenwick View Post
            I have had it in a drum but my ptob is how do i see if the impeller is pumping water out or not?
            There are 2 types of old 35hp motors, one with a thermostat and one without. the one without pumps water out the idle relief holes soon after starting up.

The thermostat equipped one takes a while until it warms up before discharging a lot of water out the exhaust. You can remove the thermostat cover on the top of the cylinderhead and watch for water flow when you start the motor up.

what model number do you have?

Comment

Working...
            X