FT9.9 starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FT9.9 starting problems

My outboard is an FT9.9 AMHL (1999), manual starter, fitted with the automatic starter set described in the outboard carburetor diagram.

In the last few years it has become really very very hard to start: it takes 30-40 pulls on the starter rope to start it, but after that it immediately runs smoothly.

I've tried as described in the owner's manual to pump the throttle some times , but this goes in the wrong direction and it takes even more to start it.

I've cleaned the carburetor but not better.

The starter valve measured resistance is within service manual limits.

Once started, even if immediately stopped, than it can be easily started at the first pull.

I have always made sure the primer bulb is well full and becomes hard to push, so that I'm sure the fuel reaches the pump.

I've also tried to manually choke the carburetor inlet but with no success.

Any suggestion ?? Is there anything related to fuel pump suspected ?

Many thanks in advance.
    Alberto

Getting carb clean enough is normally the problem, to get all passages and jets clean. You might take to a dealer that has the ultrasonic cleaners and let them throughly clean it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Many thanks. Do you think there may be any rubber diaphragm or membrane which might become old after so many years and needs replacement ?

Thanks again
      Alberto

Comment

Replace any parts in carbs that are questionable.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X