Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011, 250 SHO, water pressure issue

Hi THere,

I have a 2011 yammy 250 SHO, 72 hours on it. Today I started and idle away from the dock, up to 1400rpms, and i have a nice stream of water coming out the tell tale. Everything looks normal. Now i gas to get it up on plane and as the rpm increase, the tell tale disappears. I slow down and the stream starts again. I figured out that it only happens when I start to move. I put the engine in neutral, then revved the engine to 2500, the stream flows nicely, standing still. Click it into gear and start to add gas, the stream is flowing, get it too 1500, no tell tale at all.
    No Alarms, no overheating. JUST NO TELL TALE.

I limp it home at 1200 rpms (stream flowing), get it on the lift and hook a hose to the flush fitting, turn on water and everything flows nicely. I pull cowling and under cowls, inspect the thermostat hosing for leaks, and complete inspection of the block while under flush pressure nothing leaking pan inside is dry as a bone, no water contamination in the oil.

Another thing is that it has a pressure gauge, and i used to run around 13 psi at 3000 rpms, now it's running around 25 psi at the same rpm, which I've never seen before. I don't have command link plus gauges, just the standard round ones. So, this is a clue to me. Pressure has doubled, no tell tale at above 1500 only while moving.
    To me there is restriction somewhere. I check all intakes for clogs, nothing. I checked all hoses and tees. I DUNNO. I told him I would post this question and see if anyone on here has got any ideas. SOMETHING HAS CHANGED TODAY. It didn't do this before. It ran fine and always had a tell tale stream.

have any of the experts on here heard of this?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I've been in contact with my marina, really helpful but they seemed stumped too. He also has another customer with this engine and doesn't have a tell at all, and showing 25 psi on the gage. He called Yamaha in Atlanta and another ace tech to discuss this, they all seem to say they think the water pump is fine, and that there is restriction somewhere for the tell.
    He also said to go for a boat ride, and see if it goes into limp mode, which really hasn't happened since i drove it for a while before i noticed no stream, maybe 5 minutes. I'm really diligent about watching the tell.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to get it across that have debugged this a little, but I'm strummed too.

Thanks sincerely for any replies.

Capt Rob
Working...
X