Which Yamaha?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Yamaha?

Folks, I thought I would ask here since you all would know better than I and I do not trust sales people.

I'm looking at buying a G3 1860 Center Console (click for link of the boat/specs)

I will be using this boat for everything fishing, from rivers to inshore and even in some of our hp limited reservoirs.

I want the most efficient motor for that boat that will keep it on plane with gear and 2 souls on board. I also want to add a 9.9hp "high thrust" for a kicker motor and to use on the hp limited reservoirs around here.

Question #1; which motor? Its rated to 90hp but i will be adding another motor to the transom and I don't want to overload it. If I can run 40mph fully loaded, I would be happy.

Question #2; Is there a way to connect the kicker motor to the main
    outboards steering if I use a separate throttle control?

Thanks for your help, I hope I asked this in the right forum.

Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

Look at what they tested to see what you would like

Probably would not be happy with anything below 70 hp

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      Performance Bulletins | Yamaha Outboards

Look at what they tested to see what you would like

Probably would not be happy with anything below 70 hp
      Thank you for the link!

I looked this chart over; http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/sites...-05-12_alm.pdf its the closest thing I could find to the boat I'm looking at.

The provided chart gives me data for fuel consumption and "time to plane" but there are no approximate top speed numbers anywhere. Would a 70hp allow me to run 40-50mph or more if needed? You never know when you have to outrun a storm to sheltered waters. And if I did go with the 90hp, will the transom handle the weight of a 9.9 added to it? It looks like the 9.9 is going to add 110lbs +/- to the transom according to this spec sheet;http://yamahaoutboards.com/outboards...specifications
      Last edited by Jeepin jon; 07-15-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

That shows the F90 as doing 25 MPH at 6000rpm WOT which I do not think is correct. Might want to contact G3 to see what they have to say

Seems like the 70 showed about 35 and I would think the 90 would do a lot better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          That shows the F90 as doing 25 MPH at 6000rpm WOT which I do not think is correct. Might want to contact G3 to see what they have to say

Seems like the 70 showed about 35 and I would think the 90 would do a lot better than that.
          Yes 25 would be unacceptable to me. The 18' glass bass boat I just sold w/150 black max would top out at 70 and it was not a low profile boat, it was built for big water.

I do not need to, nor want to go 70 but I do want to go faster than 35.

I will call our local G3 dealer and see if they will give me a straight answer.

Comment

Mine is an Express 1870 with 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke...plenty of power, speed, dependable, simple to maintain...no valves, belts, cams, fancy pumps and filters, lighter weight by about 100lbs. You can hook your kicker to steer with your main motor with a special rig. Good Luck!

Comment

i have a 176 stratos bass boat with a 70 yamaha on the back it runs all day at 5800 rpms the boat runs about 38 39 mph and it dont use alot of fuel which is what i really like.i put a new 15 pitch prop on it and it gets it out of the hole great. the g3 shouldnt weigh as much as the stratos.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I traveled 2 hours to the closest G3 dealer today to talk prices, top speed, options etc.

The 1860CC w/70hp will top out around 32mph and w/90hp around 35?

I think I'm going to go with the 1756CC, its a little lighter/smaller but still has plenty of fishing room on it. It does have lower gun walls though which concerns me on rough water should I get caught out in it,

The 1756CC tops out around 40mph w/70hp and only the operator on board.

Comment

Working...
                  X