No announcement yet.

Mercury Trim/tilt fluid compatibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury Trim/tilt fluid compatibility?

1988 130 ETLG was having intermittent trim/tilt issues. Motor would not raise or lower, 10 minutes later it was fine. Seemed like a bad wire someplace but inspection did not reveal any. Next, I suspected a "flat" spot on the trim motor so pulled it and had armature bench tested. Motor was good. I'm not sure if I've fixed the original problem or not (working now but always was intermittent) but now have a new one.
    My local dealer did not have Yamaha trim tilt fluid in stock and sold me some Mercury fluid. I might be wrong but the Mercury fluid seemed thinner than the Yamaha. Is Mercury fluid compatible with Yamaha? Obviously it's now a mix of the two fluids. The "new" problem is a bit difficult to describe but the motor seems to "race" at a high RPM and the motor raises VERY slowly. Also sounds like the battery is dying. Lowers and sounds just fine going down but not up. I DID air-bleed the system by manually fully depressing the tilt rod (was not connected to bracket), then pulling rod up fully 4 or 5 times. Then used the motor to raise and lower motor a couple times. Do I have air or foam in the system? Is there a way to drain the system to refill with Yamaha fluid if the fluids are not compatible? Sorry for the wordy post. First one.

No way to drain system without taking apart. Probably still have air in it.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the response but what about the compatibility question/ Is Yamaha PTT fluid compatible with Mercury fluid?

Thanks

Comment

Not sure if compatable or not Yamaha lists Yamaha Power trim fluid or Dextron II ATF fluid as only choices.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have had it confirmed that Yamaha and Mercury PTT fluids are 100% compatible with one another.

You were also correct that despite bleeding my system I still had air in it. I guess since my system had been completely drained of fluid required a more thorough bleeding than the 4 or 5 compressions of the tilt cylinder as recommended in the service manual. I disconnected the tilt rod from the bracket and have been fully extending and compressing the rod with rests between to allow the system to self bleed.

NEW QUESTION: Will there always be some "foam" (actually more like tiny pin point sized bubbles) in the fluid after operating the pump or should I continue bleeding until the fluid is 100% bubble free? After lowering and then fully raising the motor when I remove the full plug some fluid will drain and have these bubbles. They quickly clear from the fluid in the drain pan.

Comment

The foam is air in fluid, so there is still some air in there, need to let it sit for 10-20 minutes after triming up or down to allow air bubles to work there way out of fluid
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X