90HP Yamaha 2stroke running hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90HP Yamaha 2stroke running hot

My 1998 Yamaha ran hot twice yesterday and both times I shut it off immediately. Each time it ran hot after running 5-6 mile @ 4500 rpms. It took about 10 minutes to cool off each time. The motor is running fine and idled for a mile though a no wake zone without running hot. My question is where do I start looking for my problem? water pump or thermostat or is my problem more deeply rooted?

Thanks

both of those are normal maintenance items,
    when were they replace last?
    It would be a good idea to have a look at the PRV while you are at it
    Last edited by 99yam40; 07-09-2012, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Mine is a 1999 Yamaha 90C, similar to yours. Your best bet would be to replace the water pump kit, thermostat and pressure control valve all at the same time, then you'll know what you've got in there. Good Luck!

Comment

90 Yamaha

Thanks, both were replaced 3 years ago but not the PRV. The problem was very different and I was scared I may have deeper trouble.

Comment

3 years is not that bad, but I have had a impeller lose vanes in less that a year before when started with out water for just a few seconds.
          Could be that water passages are a problem or even corrosion causing a problem. You will not know until you see what everything looks like

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I installed the water pump kit,thermostat, PCV and spring and was not a very tough job. I haven't had a chance to go to the lake to test it but plan to on Friday afternoon or Saturday.

Comment

Good Luck, and let us know if that solved your overheating problems!

Comment

Everything seems fine, I ran near 12-13 mile last night @ 5000 rpm and idled with no warning buzzer. My indication stream seems week at idle and doesn't change at higher rpms but the stream is very strong when running the lake
                so I am just going with it for now. Thanks again for all the help.
                Last edited by Keywest1720; 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Great!...sounds like you're good to go

Comment

Originally posted by Keywest1720 View Post
                    My indication stream seems week at idle and doesn't change at higher rpms but the stream is very strong when running the lake
                    Might make sure the housing is OK, could be leaking around shaft area.
                    High RPM would overcome what was leaking.

Just a thought,as idle should show a good stream also. Maybe blow out tell tail to make sure it is not partially plugged

Comment

How can I identify a possible housing leak? Will I have to pull the foot again aor will a leak show uo some other way?

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      Might make sure the housing is OK, could be leaking around shaft area.
                      High RPM would overcome what was leaking.

Just a thought,as idle should show a good stream also. Maybe blow out tell tail to make sure it is not partially plugged

Comment

Inspect housing well with it off the motor or just replace

Comment

Working...
                        X