2008 F115 oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 F115 oil leak

I have a 2008 F115 motor that is leaking quite a bit of oil when I run it and after I shut it off. It started off small and now leaves a pretty big sheen behind me. I can see oil running down the steering bracket assembly as well. This started as a very small leak and now is getting bigger. Im positive its motor oil and not gas. Any Ideas?

Have you checked your oil level to see if it is making oil(getting contaminated with fuel) and is overfull?

Comment

Yes, I just checked it after letting it sit overnight, the oil is down about a half inch on the stick. This is after running yesterday for about an hour and a half. The motor did sit half tilted up on the boat for two years if that makes any difference

Comment

All you can do is clean it all up real good and then start looking for where it is coming from. Maybe it is from spilled oil during oil and filter change.
        If not then close inspection for where it is coming from

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that

Comment

well, I cleaned it up and could not find the leak anywhere on the block. There was oil running down the forward part of the lower unit and a little bit coming out with the cooling water on the left side of the lower unit when I ran it. After all of that, in a moment of weakness I hooked up the trailer and took it to the dealer. It can't be too expensive right? Hahaha yeah, I know better than that. Hope I get it fixed without having to sell the kids............

Comment

they are probably going to find the crank seal leaking, there is a repair sleeve for this. but it requires pulling the power head. probably wont have to sell all the kids.

Comment

So far it's a cracked middle casing, they haven't pulled it off yet so I'm sure there's more. At least we got the ball rolling on this, the sun is shining and I want to get out on the water!!!!

Comment

Well not only is it a cracked middle casing, also cracked oild pan, bent oilt tube, bad oil pump and a bent oil strainer. needless to say the guy I bought the boat from is unavailable for comment................:-(

Comment

what caused all of this?
                    Did some one drop the power head or was it in a wreck?
                    I can understand cracks but bent

Comment

I bought the boat used. It had been setting for three years after the previous owner hit something. The allision caused a lot of damage to the hull and I think that kind of forshadowed the hidden damage to the motor. The lower unit had some dings and scrapes on it but nothing more than I would expect to see where I live. Like I said earlier, the oil leak started off small but rapidly became huge so I suppose the fact that I was using the boat made it bigger. I don't know if the previous owner ever used it after the damage was done. Oh well, After all BOAT stands for....Bring Out Another Thousand

Comment

Working...
                      X