Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

98 Yamaha 225 2 stroke (1 cyl. not firing )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 Yamaha 225 2 stroke (1 cyl. not firing )

While testing motor today, and while at WOT, the motor lost about 90% of power, but did not shut off. I idled over to a beach and let it sit awhile and cool off. When restarting, it showed what I thought was an over abundance of smoke on start-up and more smoke than normal on take off. Boat was idled to dock and transported to house. I immediately removed the plugs, which revealed no oil on top starboard plug, like it never fired at all, so I compression tested that cylinder and it showed 120psi.

Question: What does this situation bring to mind? And could someone offer me a starting point. I have a tournament to fish Saturday and am working hard to get her running right. Thanks.

You need to test to see if you are getting spark to that cylinder
    If you are then it is a fuel issue.

but one cylinder not firing will not cause 90% power drop.
    You need to test the alarm system and then find out what alarm was coming in that brought in the safe mode if that is what happened

Comment

What did you find warrior?
      1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
      1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Seems to me that you have a bad ignition coil, cable or spark. Take all the spark cables off an insert a screwdriver in the one that you think is not fireing. Approach the screwdriver close to a metal part on the engine and try starting the engine. If you dont see the spark, then you have a bad cable or the coil is dead. If there is a spark, then the spark plug is dead.
        My 2 cents

Comment

check comp on all cyls
          have you done any fuel system service recently ?? ever ?
          does your alarm system work correctly ?
          digital or analog gauges ?

Comment

Working...
          X