Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F150 blowing smoke

Hi all,

on my last outing when i started the outboard it was blowing blue smoke for 30 seconds then dissapeared. Later in the day Ihad the same thing after the motor sat there for a while.

Its been a month since I have used it( away with work) and started it today for the same result.

The motor is a 08 with under 200hrs. Oil level is 2/3 full. I can see no visiable oil leak but can only assume there is a weep somewhere in the motor internally.

THe motor is stored in the trim down position due to my driveway angle and not wanting water to pool into the rear of the topcowl.

Has any one else had a problem. The motor runs normal and no weird sounds etc.

I appreciate any info you can provide.

Was about to head up the coast and fish for the next few days but think its dealer time.

regards

Aaron
    Last edited by happy1gilmour; 06-28-2012, 11:24 PM.

storing the engine all the way down is the issue, it needs to be slightly over vertical, on the trim pins if you can. in the all the way down positon the oil is seeping past the rings into the combustion chamber.

Comment

I ripped out the plugs and found the bottom cylinder plug is oiler than the rest. I assume this cyclinder is the culprit.

Sequoiha, from what you are saying is that while on the water and at rest for a period of time I could possibly blow smoke on the next start. I was on the water this week and there was a hint of smoke on start and acceleration after four hours of drift fishing. I think i still have a valve seal weeping or some residue in the exhaust system.

Cheers

Comment

the 1st few minuets after shutting it off is when you need have it tilted slightly to make sure the oil drains back toward the crank case and not the combustion chamber.
        If that does not solve problem then it could be a oil ring or seal problem

Comment

I have a F90 that does the same thing. I called yamaha and they told me to store my engine where the rubber gasket around the cowling is tilted up. If I do this I never have a problem. Sometimes if I'm out fishing and stop for a long time (i.e. Smokin' the Trout!) and forget to tilt up a bit I'll get the Puff of whiteish/blue smoke for about 15 seconds. But this is ONLY at startup and goes does not happen at all afterwards.

Comment

actually 4 hours is long enough for oil to seep past the rings. just try not to keep the engine in the all the way down position. its easy enough to put it over vertical each time you stop it.

Comment

Working...
            X