Water blowing out just above steering arm on 225 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water blowing out just above steering arm on 225 2 stroke

Hello outboard guru's. I have a 1998 225 2 stroke that has water blowing out from somewhere just above the steering arm. It will only do it while in the water and under pressure, not on a hose in the driveway. I removed the cowling cover to get a better look with a flashlight while under pressure, but was unable to see where it was coming from. So this is what i have down so far.
    1.) removed lower unit to see if the grommet was installed below the rubber shaft seal and it was. The water pump and housing is new, top gasket on lower unit in new condition. Have any ides what to look at next? Puzzled in south florida.

only while underway ? sounds like the speedo tube is disconnected under cowl....does speedo work ??

Comment

water blowing our from steering arm

No the speedo does not work. Unfortunately, all the gauges were stolen along with the lower unit and all electronics. I had a boat-load of engine issues as indicated in prior posts, but have since then overcome those issues. The boat runs great now, but with the boat in the water at the dock, and the rpm's around 2500-3000, it blows water out. Very hard to see where it is coming from though. Should I remove the cowling to see the tube or can it be accessed without removing it. Where is the tube located and what size is the tube so that I have the right one? Thank You.

Comment

If the boat is not moving when water is coming out then it is not the speedo tube.
        Probably like rodbolt said before gasket or corrosion,

Can you remove the apron at bottom of power head to have a better look?

Comment

Its got to be from the water pump, (as the RPM's rise, so does the pressure) perhaps where the water tube meets the powerhead?:

Yamaha OEM Parts ? Outboards, Outboard Motors)
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X