Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 8 transported incorrectly - damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 8 transported incorrectly - damage?

This may be a dum question, but I don't know, so I have to ask

I just purchased a used Yamaha 8 HP HT 4 stroke outboard. I'm afraid I did not position the outboard correctly for transport as when I got the motor out of the car and put it on the stand, there was oil all over.

My vehicle is small, so I had the motor laying on the side, and the lower unit was slightly raised due to the angle of the folded seat back.

Assuming that this is what caused the oil to leak, where does it actually escape from inside the engine? Does it go anywhere that can cause damage? Do I need to do anything else other than drain what it remaining in there and refill with fresh oil before re-starting?

being a small engine i dont think you are going to have an issue, i would pull the spark plugs and spin it over just in case there is any oil in the combustion chamber. and then do what you said,, drain and fill to proper level, just be aware it will smoke like a mosquito truck for a while.. should be ok though..

Comment

Thanks Sequoiha - that was the kind of answer I was hoping for. Going to get it done, fingers crossed!

Comment

So I pulled the spark plugs tonight and when I turned the engine over, it did spit out some oil from the spark plug holes.

Should I be worried about this?

Comment

nope, that is to be expected, like i said, pull the plugs, spin it over a few times put the plugs back in, check the oil level, and fire it up, it will smoke like a mosquito truck for a while but will eventually clear up, might have to change the plugs.

Comment

Excellent. I will fire it up, run it for a while, and then put in new plugs.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X