Carb jets 94, 50hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb jets 94, 50hp

I have all three carbs off from my 94, 50 hp. Yamaha and have noticed some varnish on the outer perimeter of each carb body but doesn't look serious. I've cleaned each carb but I am hesitant to try and remove the main and pilot jets as they seemed to be seated firmly. However, I don't want to reassemble until I am satisfied that they are clean.

The jets have a screw driver notch in each one but they don't seemed to want to come out easily. Is there a special tool for this? As I mentioned in a previous post the motor tends to stumble when idling so this is my first approach.

I might add that the carbs are very easy to clean as I was expecting a bunch of springs and such jumping out when dis assembled but no surprises so far. Thanks.

Just need to use a screwdriver thats fits slot in jet perfectly or will damage jet.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Well, I've tried nine different screw drivers and none worked. The problem seems to be the depth of the slot along with potential varnish build-up. I also let them soak over night prior to trying again today. I'm going to spray more carb cleaner thru them and hope for the best. If I continue, I'm afraid that I will really bugger them up.

Comment

If the screwdriver does not fit the slot pefectly, it is very easy to chip a small piece off. You may have to file the screwdrivers you have to get the required fit.

Comment

With the jet plugs removed spray from the bottom side through the jets with some gumout carb cleaner followed by shop shop air from an air compressor. Doing this a few times should get them clean if you can't remove them. As others have said use proper sized screw drivers.

Comment

Well, I reassembled this morning and it fired right up. No more missing and it idles right down to 500 rpm with no problems. Installing the lower carb was the biggest challenge as it is difficult to get your fingers down in that area to complete the clamps, fuel lines and oil pump connection.

Not that I am an expert but if anyone needs some help, send me a PM. Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X