Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 ELG 40 oil consumption

I purchased this used last year, along with a 16 foot starcraft ss160

I'm a little concerned as to the low oil usage I'm seeing?
    I have no experience with an oil injected outboard(previous motors had been small 10hp premix)

It is using oil, but as near as I can tell, it's about 100:1 (or maybe even leaner than that)

I did use the boat all last summer and it seems to run fine... but I'm absolutely terrified about this oil usage, having burned up a snowmobile engine last winter for a similar problem that went unnoticed.

Does anyone have any experience with these Yam outboards?
    WOuld this be considered normal oil usage?

The person I purchased the boat/motor from let it set for awhile in his garage unused.?

ANy tips, things to check would be appreciated.

Thx in advance

As you are concerned, with oil consumption, you might premix your fuel at 100:1 in addition. You will still be able to carefully monitor your injected oil usage without the nagging fear that you are running too little oil. Also it would be a good idea to replace the water pump and at least check the thermostat operation. Do you have an owners manual?

Comment

Have you thought about picking up a service manual to help you drain , clean, flush oil system and then test to make sure it is functioning properly?

Comment

Working...
      X