Intermittent alarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent alarm

Good evening all, I have a puzzler....it's a 1998 115 saltwater series yamaha on a 1999 sea pro 18cc. the water stream is full and barely warm to the touch when running. I have replaced the oil pump, the sensor in the main tank, the sensor in the little tank on the motor. the oil level stays on the line on the tank on the motor. the alarm seems to have no reason for sounding and turning on the rpm limiter...seems to activate more when it's bouncy out there but it goes off on the flat river also. many times I have run out 20 miles or so with zero problems...while on the other hand, can't get a mile from the ramp and it'll go off. most of the time when it activates, it'l sound for 15 maybe 20 seconds...i'll slip the motor into neutral , the alarm will go off, rev up to however fast I want to run and it'll go all day without bothering again. it;s been suggested electrical issue someplace..makes sense to me.. ignition switch has been suggested, ( the alarm horn is attached to the end of the switch)..i know the motor is not over heating...i know the motor is getting all the oil it wants...so what y'all think? Oh, one other thing...i thought maybe the thermostats were sticking, someone had already removed them..the water channels in the motor seem to be wide open...very little corrosion evident...i bought this in 2008 with 74 hours on it...it now has 417 and has been serviced every year...filters, plugs, etc... i love this machine..i just need to know what to do to fix her up to par again...any thoughts? THANKS!!!

Test the temp switches to make sure they are operating in spec.
    Install thermostats, the motor needs them in place to force the water to flow properly to all parts of motor, without them in place you will end up with cold spots and hot spots because of improper water flow

Comment

Thanks...we'l get 'em tested and install thermostats...you have any feelings one way or the other on the ignittion switch being an issue?

Comment

not positive on your 115 but most buzzers /alarms I have dealt with have power to them as long as key is in on position and the alarm is sounded by something grounding the other side

Comment

Check the inline fuse holders on engine, check to see if fuse is a loose fit in holder, should be a snug fit.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks a million all. I think, ( hope ), I found the problem......in line fuses on the motor...they looked a little corroded... replaced holders and fuses...yesterday, took her for a ride.....NO ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heading for the big water next Tuesday or wednesday.....fingers crossed!!! THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
              Check the inline fuse holders on engine, check to see if fuse is a loose fit in holder, should be a snug fit.
              Could someone explain how this would make the alarm sound when no problem was present. Just curious

Comment

The early 90 model V4 and V6 models(ones with gray inline fuse holder) had a loose battery cable warning which would flash all lights on tach and activate rpm reduction, a loose fuse would activate warning.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Newbie to the site.

Cobia Chaser. I have a 70 hp I just got back from the mechanic for the very same issue. This was the third visit in as many months, and they thought I was crazy...boat would run fine in the tank, but as soon as I got in the river, the alarm would sound and the motor would do just as you desribed.

This last time, it was finally noticed that the green wire connection (in my case) going to oil pump had come undone. When the bare connector hit the metal housing it set off the alarm, and set the motor limiter. Check your connections to make sure they are tight. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                    The early 90 model V4 and V6 models(ones with gray inline fuse holder) had a loose battery cable warning which would flash all lights on tach and activate rpm reduction, a loose fuse would activate warning.
                    Thanks,
                    that is one of those good to know things

Comment

Thanks guys.....new to this sight but I will be on here alot in the future...(hopefully, not because of my issues hahahahahaha )...it's nice to know there are knowledgeable folks on here to help us neophites......Thanks again!!!!!!! Sincerely appreciate all replies...

Comment

Working...
                      X