F115 Timing mark or Shift Pos. switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F115 Timing mark or Shift Pos. switch

After chasing down a 12V relay problem, and a bad shift position switch, I figured Id change my 1200 hour old timing belt, All went well, I secured the original position of the cams and the crankshaft pulley and just dropped the new belt on top of the existing position of the pulleys.
    I then spent hours trying to figure why my idle was slightly rough and surging after coming off plane, I never thought to check the timing marks for a while because they didn't move when I put the new belt on.
    However I found that when you tighten down the belt tensioner the crank pulley advances one tooth and that made all the difference,
    So remember to line up the hole in the pulley slightly before the raised mark on the crank case. Then when you tighten the belt it will be right on!!

I also noticed my motor firing much quicker than it has in a long long time, instead of taking 4 seconds to fire it starts in one or two seconds. And the idle doesn't surge any more like it was for a long time. Any idea if that was the shift pos. switch OR the timing off one tooth or both??? Could the timing have been off with the original belt due to a stretched out belt??
    Last edited by fishon195; 05-15-2012, 08:33 AM.

Could have been from timing being off.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X