charging two batteries with regulator rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charging two batteries with regulator rectifier

I have a 15hp 4stroke Yamaha outboard that I want to charge two deep cycle batteries with. I plan to use the dual batteries hooked up in series to power a 24 volt electric outboard that I will use as my *****ing motor. Do these batteries need to be hooked up in sequence while charging 12volt or can I leave them in parallel while charging? It would be no problem to mount a switch if I need to but thought I would ask

Apparently you do not understand parallel and series hook up.
    Series will give 24 volts and parallel hook up will be 12 volts
    Motor puts out 12 volt charging

Comment

yes, I understand parallel and series perfectly, My question was am I able to charge the system with a 12v charger or do I have to seperate the batteries and charge them one at a time. Hope I wan't unclear this time

Comment

It is ok to charge tho batteris in parrallel, but it can create issues. The most relevent of which is the fact that the batteries will level out to the lowest battery. In other words-- if you have a good battery and one one its way out, the poor battery will draw down the good one until they level out. Not Good. The way to do it is with a switch that separate the two batteries and allow charging of each one individually or both if you so wish. As far as the 24volt *****ing motor is concerned your batteries need to be in series of course. I would use an isolation switch before the plug in for the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by viking68ak View Post
          I plan to use the dual batteries hooked up in series to power a 24 volt electric outboard that I will use as my *****ing motor. Do these batteries need to be hooked up in sequence while charging 12volt or can I leave them in parallel while charging?
          if you leave them in parallel it would be 12 volts, but if you are running them in series to run the 24 v *****ing motor, then you will have to rewire them to put in parallel.

Do you see what I was getting at

Comment

Yup, thank you both. I figured I would need an isolation switch but thought I would ask around. Thanks

Comment

I have done this before with a *****ing motor sharing a starting battery, you will have to use an isolation switch hook the batts in parallel for the *****er and tap off separate leads for the motor, u will have to charge them one at a time. I would charge number one on the away out and number two on the way back in.

Check ur voltages before u start ur motor, You're gonna have a lot of wires, Eventually I gave my *****er its own deep cell batteries, because the starting batts wud not hold much runtime.

Comment

Working...
              X