115AETO oil level gauge problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115AETO oil level gauge problem

Motor started smoking badly due to main tank over filling and pushing mostly into the engine. removed the oil level gauge to test at the lake and noted that:

1. when was at float at top pump in sub tank stopped
    2. when the float was in the middle pump in sub tank would start
    3. when float was at the bottom red light and buzzer came on and would not go off until key switched off then back on and float moved towards top
    4.the brass like shaft had some rough spots on it about 1/3 of the way down from top

The same smoking and bad running continued due to the main tank over filling after I put it back together.

When I got home I cleaned the rough spots up with some wet/dry 600 grit sand paper. Now the pump will not shut off and the red light and buzzer will go on and off intermittently as I manually move the float on the shaft.

I am not sure of the actual year model of this engine, serial number is 6E5L352105, is the correct replacement part 6E5-85730-10-00?
    Last edited by hookbender; 04-29-2012, 07:40 AM.

When you re iserted the oil sender to the sub tank on the motor did you line up the arrows on the cap & sub tank

Comment

Yes (there are only arrows on the tube covering the float pointing towards the top, I do not see anything else to line up and the tube will rotate because the clip only holds it loosely), and tested the float both ways. When I went out to verify and checked it again after draining oil from main tank, now it started working properly again (oil pump on sub tank shuts off when main tank level hits top mark).

I am wondering if the control unit assemble is failing and causing this problem intermittently when the motor is running on the water(I can't really do anything but idle it in the backyard).

Comment

Working...
      X