2002 F200 Timing Belt Loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F200 Timing Belt Loose

When I inspected the timing belt on my 2002 F200 outboard (1350 hours) I noticed the belt appeared to be shifting up approximately an 1/2 to 1 inch on the two cams. I went ahead and replaced the timing belt thinking it may have strectched out over time. After we replaced the belt and started the engine the belt did the same thing and raised up on the cams. I am able to push it down, but as soon as the engine starts it moves back up again. At first I figured it was a issue. I see in the service manual it says to inspect the tentioner and replace when needed. I visually inspected my tensioner and it appears to be fine, but I am not sure what to do at this point.

I discussed it with two marin emechanics that both said the tensioner rarely fails. One of the mechanics also told me they had a similar problem on a yamaha 4 stroke where the belt dropped down about the same amount. They rebuilt the entire motor and afterwards it still did the same thing.

Can the tensioner be adjusted or does it have to be replaced? Has anyone else ever had this problem or have any suggestions on how to fix it. On the bright side the engine runs like new even with this problem. My only concern is over time it will wear the belt down and cause it to break.

no i have never seen this but something is putting out of alignment and the only thing can be the tensioner does the bearing seem to have any wear in it ?

Comment

Working...
    X