2000 200 h.p. HPDI Remote Oil Tank Sensor Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 200 h.p. HPDI Remote Oil Tank Sensor Question

Was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on a problem I seem to be having with my oil level sensor. I have checked other threads on here and can't seem to find what the problem is. The problem is that the oil is not transferring from the remote tank to the engine mounted tank and the gauge (which is a tach with LCD bar readout below) shows the middle bar flashing as if it is not getting signal.

I have tested what I could find in other threads and they are as follows.

The oil will enter tank when bypass is pushed after holding the button for a few seconds.

I have ohmed out the engine mounted oil tank sensor and all checks out ok with it.

I have checked continuity in the blue wire and the black wire from the remote tank to the engine tank and both checked out ok. I haven't checked the other wires from the remote tank as I can't find where they terminate on the engine (or they may not terminate there).

I tried ohming out the remote tank sensor, but am not sure which wires do what on that and can't get a reading with any of the combinations that I tried.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know and I will work on them next. I am going to go ahead and order the remote tank sensor new and install that this upcoming weekend.

Also, should the oil line from the remote tank to the engine tank have a one way valve / backflow preventer installed on it? It seems as though I have to hold down the bypass switch for quite some time before oil starts showing up at the engine mounted tank. I don't see one on the schematic from yamaha, but may be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks to everyone,
    Brad

Have to remove oil level sensor and check switch inside sensor, with float up should have continuity, float down no continuity. If pump, and wires are ok then probably a bad sensor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

You wouldn't be able to tell me which wires to check continuity on by any chance. I can't find any of the diagrams on this particular sensor so I want to make sure I am checking the correct wires.

Thanks for the help...

Brad

Comment

There are only two wires going into sensor(black and black/red), test for continuity across the them.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have ordered the sensor as a just in case, but will check the old one when I am down on the water this weekend. Thanks for the help.

On a side note, could someone tell me what the bars at the bottom of my tach show the level of. It looks as though it has 3 bars that light up with the middle one blinking now. Does that show the oil level of the remote tank or the oil tank on the engine? I just can't figure that out and feel like a moron for not being able too...

Thanks for the help....

Brad

Comment

Right bar indicates full of oil
            Middle bar indicates add oil, remote oil tank low on oil
            Left bar indicates no oil, engine oil tank at lower level
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X