40 yamaha pull start problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 yamaha pull start problem

I have a 1993 pull start yamaha that runs great, but the pull cord will not engage the flywheel when pulled. I was running the boat when I heard a rattling noise under the cowling and cutt off the motor to check it out. Found nothing, put cowling back on and pulled cord, no resistance on cord.
    Any Ideas? Please let me know.
    Thanks

93' 40hp yamaha short shaft 2 cycle 3 clyinder

Sounds like the recoil spring let go

Comment

any more info on the recoil spring and possibly a part number?

Comment

You will have to open it up to see what came loose, it is not the spring if the rope gets pulled back in on rewind.

Comment

rope does get pulled back in "tight" on rewind. Like it would if it were working properly.

Comment

From what you have said, I think you will find that the little spring loaded piece that moves into flywheel has either broken/fallen offor it's related spring is broken. Take off the recoil starter assembly, you may have to disconnect the "can't start in gear" cable. Turn the assembly upside down, you should be able to locate the piece that moves out into the flywheel when you pull on the cord. It will move out when you pull the cord. It is under a plate at the bottom of the starter assembly.

Comment

I will check that out.
              Thanks much.
              Ill let you know

Comment

Found the spring loaded plastic piece but I can't tell how far it's supposed to move into the flywheel. It could possibly be broken off but I just don't know how much of it sticks out into flywheel.

Comment

Have you looked at a parts diagram? Here is a link:

1993 40MLHR Yamaha Outboard MANUAL STARTER Diagram and Parts

you should look at parts# 24-26 and see if they resemble what you have.

The picture will blow up and still be clear.

Also because you mentioned that you heard some rattling under the cowl I would look earnestly for a broken piece laying there somewhere. You might be able to tell if the piece you found is broken if the edges are sharp and not slightly rounded.

Comment

The plastic piece is called the Drive Pawl, yours may have broken or the bolt that holds it in place has come loose....shouldn't be too hard to replace or repair, but may need to order that piece. Good Luck!

Comment

It was indeed the drive pawl, got one today at the local yama dealer and replaced it. Wouldn't you know it the motor cranked!
                      Thanks for everyone's help on this one, I feel sure I'll be breaking some more stuff real soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X