Wiring Minn-Kota MK-2-DC Onboard Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Minn-Kota MK-2-DC Onboard Charger

I need to connect this charger to the ignition circuit on a 2002 VX150LTRA. Can someone point me to a wire that is on the ignition circuit?

TIA

basscrnut

The Yellow wire at ignition switch is 12 volts key on power but would depend on how much current the charger draws if can use that wire.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the response. Is that to say that the charger could be wired at the switch side and not internal on the motor? Here is the requirements as stated in the installation manual. What kind of amperage is on this yellow wire?

CHARGING REQUIREMENTS:
      MK-2-DC: 25 amp minimum

Comment

Contact Minn Kota for wiring instructions. The Yamaha Yellow wire can not have more than 10 amp total current draw on it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The purple wire is a sense lead, it does not pull any current from the ignition circuit. It's the same concept as the power on lead for car amps. The unit will not power on and operate unless the ignition is turned on. This is to prevent the unit from drawing current from from your starting battery to charge your *****ing batteries. Just wire it to the "I" post on your ignition and you're done.

Also, the 25 Amp requirement is the output from your alternator required for the unit to charge 2 batteries.
          Last edited by skyviper; 04-11-2012, 11:09 PM. Reason: added note for the 25 amp requirement

Comment

Working...
          X