99 ox66 fuel pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 ox66 fuel pump question

Hi i have a 99 yamaha sx150txrx. The engine died on me and when I restarted it would start and idle but die when I put it under a load. Then it just stopped starting.I was towed in and when I got to my shop I put a fuel pressure gauge on it and it started right up and ran fine with 35 psi of fuel pressure. I have seen some post that state the ecm will shut the engine down if the pump draws more than 5 amps but could not find the specs on how many amps it should draw. I hooked an amp meter to the pump and it is drawing 4.9 amps when running and fuel pressure is 35 psi.Is this too much? Thanks Cliff

Probably need to to test fuel vacumn, may have a fuel restriction in fuel supply system.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

also check motor filter and VST filter

Comment

I took off the VST and the filter on the pump was clean and the entire VST was very clean. The filter before the low pressure pump was also clean. I don't know what a fuel vacuum test is but if it is to check for a supply restriction to the VST then I don't think that will find anything because the when the boat would not start the fuel filter canister was full of fuel. Cliff

Comment

oh it would start just supply wouldnt keep up with demand, IF there was a restriction
          need to run under load and watch the pres gauge

Comment

Maybe try runnin it off an auxillary tank to see if its a clogged pick up or check ball problem.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X