T50 power tilt problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T50 power tilt problem

I have a T50 that has a power tilt problem. The boat is kept some distance from my home so that's a bit of a pain. I hear the relay click when I try the engine or remote tilt switches, but there is no action at the lift motor. The batteries are fully charged and the motor turns over nicely.

I measured the voltage at the relay terminals where the lift motor connects. I see battery voltage there and it reverses when I switch from up or down. I removed the motor and brought it home to order a new one since that seemed to be the problem. When I connected the motor to a battery on my workbench it works just fine.

I did put a clamp on ammeter on when I had the power tilt operated and saw about a 2 amp draw which I figured was the relay but no draw from the lift motor.

So, is there anything else that could be the problem? I don't want to order the relay if there is another possibility. It's kind of a guessing **** since the boat is so far away.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this engine. 2000 T50

Thanks

Fred
    Last edited by fseiersen; 03-22-2012, 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling

2004 50 hp t/tilt

I had the same problem except it was intermittent, the stator magnets in the motor had come loose and one had broken in half. Regards fourmack

Comment

Where did you measure the amp draw?
      Should be on the leads to the motor only.
      If that was where you did it then you had current running through the motor, but not much. Could it be that the motor was turning but the pump was not? Possible coupling failure.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmack View Post
        I had the same problem except it was intermittent, the stator magnets in the motor had come loose and one had broken in half. Regards fourmack
        Interesting. I installed an aftermarket motor 3 years ago because the Yamaha one looked so bad although it still worked. Maybe there is a problem with the motor, hard to know unless I crack the case I guess. I have the ram at home and plan to bench test the unit but it won't have any load on it.

Thanks

Fred

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Where did you measure the amp draw?
          Should be on the leads to the motor only.
          If that was where you did it then you had current running through the motor, but not much. Could it be that the motor was turning but the pump was not? Possible coupling failure.
          I measured at the battery lead from the switch. There was 0 amps with all equipment off and when I operated the switch I got about 2 amps. I should have measured the motor lead too I guess but my sense is that there was nothing getting to the motor.

I am pretty sure that the coupler is fine, I have the whole tilt unit on my bench and have the motor removed. All looks good and the coupler is fine. I will reassemble and bench test.

Comment

the relay switches both + & - so it can reverse them, so It is possible the relay is not making up one one of them.
            Need to test on the motor with voltmeter to see for sure.

Of course it could be bad connection at brushes, but seems fine now.

Comment

Working...
            X