tilt/trim switch in control box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt/trim switch in control box

I am about to order a new tilt/trim switch for the control box for my 1987 Yamaha 70. Is this a difficult job? Is access for the control box wiring, in the back of the box? I am ordering from this website. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don't know which style control box you have but the wire harness routes through handle and connects to main harness.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes, thats what I thought, Im just not sure how to get the handle off. I receivd the part today, so Ill dive into it to see how to remove the handle. It is a Yamaha 703 remote control.

Thanks
      Last edited by fatboy1972; 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I understand there's a lot of moving parts inside that 703 Control Box, and a good idea to take it slow and easy and maybe take photos as you go to aid re-assembly. Good Luck, and hope it's not all that tough!

Comment

I just cant figure out how to get to the inside of the handle to replace the switch. I do have the handle removed from the box.

Comment

Remove the box from boat and the bolt that holds handle is on back side of control box.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thats where Im stuck. I have removed that bolt and am fighting with the 2 screws on the back of the handle but still dont see how to get the switch out from there. Does the handke unsnap?

Comment

Remove the two screws in lock and pull lock and spring out, then remove the screw holding grip on handle to remove grip.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Be very careful when re-assembling the remote box, the wires that come from the loom are easy to catch up when the remotes are being used.

Comment

Got it, thanks. Yes, the wires have been a real pain.

Comment

Working...
                    X