bare prop shaft rotating in neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bare prop shaft rotating in neutral

I replaced my impeller and housing this winter. When I did I the work I made sure that the prop shaft didn't rotate when I turned the drive shaft by hand. Today I finally got to run the engine (with rabbit ears) and noticed that the prop shaft rotates very slowly. Is this normal? I didn't grab the prop shaft to see if it would stop.

Mine will rotate slowly (even with the prop on) when idling in neutral on the hose from vibration. In the water, there's enough resistance that it stays still

Comment

exhaust water running through the prop will often cause it to turn very slowly. Not an issue. Hook it back up on the hose and with it running make sure it will shift from neutral to forward and then to reverse.

Comment

I've often heard it's not a good idea to shift into gear with just the ears on without the resistance of water.

Comment

That heavy lower unit oil(80-90wt) acts as a viscous coupling(like a torque converter) causing prop shaft rotation while in neutral...no problem!

Comment

normal ..

Comment

Thanks guys. Makes me feel a lot better. When I didn't have a high pressure flow it rotated very slow. When I pushed in on the rabbit ears it picked up speed a little.

Comment

Working...
              X