90 TLR Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 TLR Questions

I have a 2006 90TLR. I have never had a Yamaha before, so I have a few questions, It was bought used, so no manual. It only has a tach (which works)and an aftermarket trim guage (which does not work). Do I need a harness for the trim guage? It looks like it is wired to a plugin connector on the side of the motor. If I wanted to convert to a tach kit, would I need a special harness for that? Is the harness hard to connect, or does it just plugin. I used to have a Mercury, so I am missing the beep at startup. Is this a problem or does the waring horn only sound if needed.
    Thanks for the help.

Yes you would need a wire harness to make trim gauge work, the tach kit is the best way to go order part# 6YR-W0035-E1-00 and it will have all the wire harness's in it. It will give you a tach, trim gauge, low oil and overheat warning lights and a hour meter. The warning buzzer does not beep on start up, only when warning sensors have been activated.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Is that year model correct, a used 06 already?

I went thru the same drill a year ago while rigging my new 04 90 TLRC.

I am assuming you have a plain old tach and separate trim gauge. If you have the multi-function tach & trim gauge, then you're pretty much going to need to buy the Yam harness.

So, getting on with separate tach and trim gauge installation...

You do indeed need some sort of wiring to make the trim gauge work. You will need to connect all the way back to the motor as there are no factory supplied wires to the control box.

Beings you already have the tach functioning, then we have a little homework to do before you go and spend for the Yam harness. (you will find that the Yam harness is rather spendy, so you don't want to flop on the counter and cash up unless you have to)

Take a look under the dash and behind the control box, and see if the tach was connected with a simple single wire from the control box to the tach. If so, then you will need to run three (I think) wires from the sending unit connection plug (which is on the right side of the outboard, buried in the mess of wires) to the trim gauge.

To make my connections, I picked up some little flat connectors to make the connection at the motor, and then ran plain old black outdoor electrical cord from the outboard to the trim gauge.

Hope this helps & good luck with it.

Comment

Thanks for the help. Yea, it is a used 2006. Family friend bought it and had a heart attack less than a month later. I purchased it from the family. I may just get a multi function gauge and be done with it.

Comment

Gee, sorry to hear about your relative with the heart attack.

If you are thinking multi-function, keep in mind they are spendy- the wiring harness + M-F meter and will set you back about $500. They are nice, though.

If you're the Ebay type, there is a brandy new M-F meter on Ebay right now. Do a search on Ebay for "Yamaha Speedometer".

Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
          X