Yamaha Wiring Harness Question - Converting from a Mercury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Wiring Harness Question - Converting from a Mercury

Hi everyone. In a nutshell, I am replacing a 2003 Mercury 75hp 4 Stroke (model 1F75412ZD) with a 2004 Yamaha 40hp 4-stroke (model F40MCLH). I have the motor mounted onto the pontoon boat, I have the steering working, and the linkage / throttle working, but I'm striking out on the wiring.

Will the wiring harness already on the boat work on the new motor? There is an adapter plug that was plugged into the old Mercury, it will physically plug the boats harness into motor, but I don't want to do anything that might burn something up.

I searched the forum for my model (F40MLHC) hoping I could find some information on it, but I couldn't find anything. I want to get hold of a pdf copy of a real Yamaha factory service manual for the boat but I cannot find one online anywhere. I saw a bunch of sites selling manuals for $5 but none of them were my model number. If anyone knows where I can purchase and download one please let me know.

Can I reuse this wiring harness do I need to purchase a different one? If I need a different one can you point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance to any replies.

-Jake
    Lexington, SC

***** > Here are the connectors on the replacement Yamaha. What do the two smaller plugs (B&C) do?

***** > These are the connectors on the boat's wiring harness. There are several wires taken from the harness and wired to the old motor, I'm going to use a multi-meter to tone everything out this weekend and try to hand draw a schematic of the boats wiring.

***** > This is an adapter of some sort that was in use between the wiring harness and the old Mercury. It looks like it will plug right up between the boat's existing wiring harness and the replacement Yamaha outboard as well, but I don't want to try it until I can tone out all the cables. It physically fits together and will mate the boat's wiring harness to the Yamaha, but I don't want to take a chance on burning anything up!

That is the Mercury to Yamaha harness adapter and will work on your motor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I plugged in the adapter and the outboard fired right up! Whoo hoo!!!! It is running, the key switch works, and the two wires with heat-shrink tubing are the tilt/trim, (figured those out with a meter) but what the heck do these other three wires do? I have found several conflicting references, but I have to (shamefully) admit that I am somewhat color blind.

Comment

They are for the Mercury gauges, may not be compatable with Yamaha engine,
        Tan wire= temp sender lead
        Brown/White= Trim sender lead
        Green/White and Blue/White= power trim wires
        Don't recall the other wire.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X