Water Pump on F115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Pump on F115

I am changing the water pump on my 2002 F115 and have removed the lower unit, the water pump housing and the stainless steel cup. On top of the rubber diaphram is a couple washers, a plastic ring and a metal coupler that sits over the plastic ring to hold everything in place. My question is " Is there any special way to remove the metal coupler that fits over the plastic piece?'' I ask becasue I can't get it off to replace the diaphram. Thanks!

Colt

here is a pic of what I am talking about.
    Attached Files

Comment

water pump

You can spray some penetrating oil around it, but it just comes off going upwards.

When I changed out the pump on my F150, I just GENTLY used a wide screwdriver and worked my way around the "metal coupler" moving it ever so slightly upwards so it doesn't bind up... You may may have to put a thin piece of flat steel/aluminum atop the rubber pump to rest your screwdriver upon for leverage. Another small, thin (width wise) piece of steel/aluminum where the screwdriver meets the coupler would help distribute the load and prevent damage to the coupler as well.

Worse case scenerio, force it off and get a new retainer..
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A lot of techs just cut it off and go back with new.
        A lot less time involved and time is money for them and the customer.
        They should include that with the water pump kit, but they do not

But you can try putting the cup back on and pry against that with screw driver, you are replacing the cup anyway if you mess it up

Comment

Check on-line for sites "Yamaha Outboard Waterpump Replacement" for step-by-step instructions with photos that are very helpful. That little stainless steel cup has some special springy, "wave" washers inside to take out the up and down movement of the driveshaft while motor is running, causing a knocking sound. You pull up on the driveshaft while sliding that cup down firmly to remove that play. Good Luck!

Comment

Use a pin punch about 6" long with 3/16 - 1/4" face on it.

Lightly tap upwards on the metal lip of the cup and turn the shaft after each tap. A spray of penetrating oil first often helps.

with care you can get it off without breaking it or the white plastic sleeve. Grease up everything on assembly.

Comment

Working...
            X