replace shift rod bracket 1986 115etlg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replace shift rod bracket 1986 115etlg

Got a 1986 115 with a broken shift rod bracket. Engine is old but runs like brand new however I'm never going to be able to pull the power head to replace the shaft and bracket, its been run in salt water and I already broke one of the six bolts holding it. Has anyone got any ideas on how to accomplish this without removing the powerhead. If I dismantle the front intake and reed valve covers will that give me enough clearance to pull the shaft? I just can't tell by looking at it. Any suggestions!

Is it the bracket or the rod that is bad?

Seems like I have read about 2 piece shift rods(after market) that can be installed on some of the older motors without pulling power head.
    May need to do some searching to see what you can find

Comment

On 115&130 split the motor at the crank case behind intake and pull the shift rod up and out.buy a stainless rod Then just a matter of getting to right position. No need to pull the powerhead. pulling the powerhead just creates a bunch of broken or drilled out bolts.

Comment

Thanks, now I've got hope!!!!!!!!! I like the split shaft solution but if I have to I'll take the front of the engine off. YamahaJoe

Comment

Oh! yes it is the bracket that's broke not the shaft. The bracket and shaft are one piece and difficult to get at. I tried to weld the bracket back together but the Aluminum weld did not hold.......I may try it again since I only used about $12 worth of welding rods.

Comment

I think this is the one I had read about before, but not sure.
            Only problem is they say 92 to 98, maybe contact them and see
            http://www.yelp.com/biz/shift-shaft-costa-mesa

click on the pic to see what it looks like
            Last edited by 99yam40; 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X