High Water Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Water Pressure

Have a 2004 115 TLRC and and for years the water pressure has stayed steady at around 15 -20 pounds when trimmed up and running. The last time I had boat out water pressure was up around 25 - 30 pounds. Why would water pressure suddenly getting higher?

If this motor has a PRV then I would be checking it to see if it is sticking or not opening as it should.
    Have you been changing pumps and T-stats like Yamaha recommends?
    Sounds like something is restricting the flow out after the pressure pick up

Comment

How do I know if I have a prv valve and where do I find it. I purchase a Seloc manual but have yet to find it in the manual, there is nothing listed in the index? I have good stream of water coming out of motor regardless of rpm. I have 85 hours on the boat and have done nothing but changed my impeller twice and I just changed lower unit oil.

Comment

It's number 19 in this link, 2004 115TLRC Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE 2 Diagram and Parts
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Cool, Thanks, That looks like a little more work than what I was planning for but it is what it is. Would you recommend just replacing, it is only a $ 6.00 part.

Thanks again

Comment

replace it and the grommet if needed, but must check to see if it is sticking and causing the higher pressure. Look for corrosion swelling grommet and grabbing/ binding things up.Some of the newer PRVs were redesigned to help with the problems it had, but have no idea about yours
            Make sure you are careful and do not lose the grommet inside the motor

Comment

Do you think I should go ahead and replace thermostats while i am in there. I onle have like 85 hours on the motor and other than this recent high water pressure problem, it runs really good

Comment

YES cheap insurance
                try unhooking pressure tube, see if pres drops to 0
                Last edited by jb123; 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

what if does ? what will that mean? and I am assuming the pressure tube is connected to the prv?

Comment

tube on gauge

Comment

Yes it does drop to zero

Comment

no it is not tied to the PRV
                        PRV just opens up when water pressure gets above the pressure needed to push open the spring tension on it to relieve the excess pressure during high RPMs

Comment

Pressure Relief Valve

Ordered parts to replace a pressure relief valve and the old one is shown on the left. The new on on the right is quite different but is supposedly the correct part. Does anyone know if this was changed due to performance issues. I replaced spring and grommet also, hopefully this will bring my water pressure down to what it normally was last year.

Comment

It was redesigned to keep the corrosion from under grommet from pushing rubber grommet and grabbing the PRV .
                            Did you find a problem with old one when you opened it up?

Comment

Prv Valve

The valve itself looked fine - the only problem I encountered was that I had to pull on it with pliers to get it out. There was some " mineral deposits" on the round edge part. Would that little bit of deposit be enough to make it stick and keep it from opening?

Comment

Working...
                              X