'93 C30ELRR Yamaha runing rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 C30ELRR Yamaha runing rich

I bought a used Yamaha 30 and have been trying to get it running again. It has set up for some time. The guy I bought it from had someone working on it that wasn't exactly an expert mechanic. Throttle butterfly had been put in upside down so didn't close all the way, had a broken and patched carb linkage which I replaced, and other various broken or missing parts. I replaced both of the ignition coils, checked reed valves and even swapped a known good set of reed valves off another 30 to try to get it to run better. It idles just a little rough, doesn't have a lot of power, and the plugs are wet when I pull them after running. Seems like is running rich. Went through the carb, cleaned and blew out with air, put in new gaskets, installed plug over pilot jet, put in new float valve, checked to be sure it is shutting off gas flow. Also not sure how to set up the ignition timing, the book I have is generic, not model specific and isn't real clear on how to set that up. Wondering if I still have carb/fuel problems, or if possibly it is a throttle linkage/timing problem since they are kind of tied together on this engine. Could use some advice on where to look next, and how to set up the ignition timing.

Basics should be compression 1st, good spark(7/8" gap) with spark tester, timing at spec at idle and WOT.
    Then if all of that is good the look at the fuel

A Yamaha service manual is always best as it gives info for that motor not a bunch of others

Comment

Re: C30ELRR

I have already checked the compression on the engine, just forgot to include that in the post. Both cylinders are about 115 psi. I don't have a spark tester but my electric fence tester shows I'm getting at least 10,000 volts on the plug wire caps, so I am assuming I am OK on that. Also the engine cranks and starts fairly easily. You stated to check timing spec at idle and WOT. Not sure what you mean by WOT. Can you enlighten me there?

Comment

What is the intial setting for the air fuel mixture screw for a c30elrr thanks.

Comment

Maybe check for bad fuel pump diaphragm sucking raw fuel into cylinders causing very rich mixture/wet plug fouling. Good Luck!

Comment

Working...
          X