Changing lower unit gear oil for first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing lower unit gear oil for first time

I have a F150TXR w/ roughly 620 hours on it. *I've had it serviced every 100 hours (the last time being 500 hrs) & would like to do it myself this time around. I'd like to start with changing the lower unit oil myself. I have four 10 oz tubes of Yamaha outboard gear lube. *

After I drain out the lower unit, can I fill it back up by just inserting the tubes of gear lube into the drain hole or do I need a fill pump that connects to the tubes? *How do I change out each tube w/out spilling oil everywhere? *Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.*

There is a small pump you can get for that job. Your Yam dealer or most boat shops can help you find one.

Comment

you can do it with the tubes just be fast or put the top plug in for a second while you switch tubes. top plug will slow oil from draining out. just remember to fill from bottom till it comes out the top with the lower unit level

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Go to Walmart and buy the pump for about $8, and it'll make the job a lot easier and less-messy. Just screw the pump fitting in the bottom drain hole and pump it until it comes out the top hole. You'll need a quart bottle of lower unit oil for the pump. Good Luck!

Comment

Can't use the pump on the tubes. I do like finisher said and roll up the tube to empty and put in the top screw, keeps it from rushing out while switching tubes.
            1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
            1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
              Can't use the pump on the tubes. I do like finisher said and roll up the tube to empty and put in the top screw, keeps it from rushing out while switching tubes.
              Pump from quart bottle and refill it with the tubes...easy!

Comment

Thanks All. I appreciate the help. Time to get the hands dirty.

Comment

Also install new seals on the plugs each time

Comment

Originally posted by MCassidy View Post
                    Thanks All. I appreciate the help. Time to get the hands dirty.
                    Get the pump and the quart bottle, then the job is an easy 5 to 10 minute job with no big mess! Refill quart bottle with tubes.

Comment

Working...
                    X