1995 C85 Losing Power Spontaneously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 C85 Losing Power Spontaneously

Hello All, I'm new to the forum but searching for a place to help me diagnose some issues with my motor.

I have a 1995 C85 Yamaha Outboard. I purchased it about a 1 1/2 years ago, but it sat on a shelf until a couple of months ago at which time I put it on my boat. Since installing it, I've performed some basic maintenance tasks: cleaned the carbs, replace thermostat and gasket, replace water pump and housing, changed the foot oil, replace spark plugs, and replace in-line fuel filter. On my list of things to do is replace the head gasket, which is leaking a little bit of water along the edge in one spot between the upper and middle cylinder.

However, the motor just loses power spontaneously, then regains power (most of the time) by simply restarting the engine and revving it up. For example, yesterday, we would be cruising along nicely when it would just lose nearly all power and start to shake terribly. When I try to rev it in neutral, it goes up very little and shakes. In this case, simply restarting the engine and revving it in neutral usually does the trick. Sometimes, when I'm trying to get underway, it just simply lacks any power. In those cases, it may operating with little power, then spontaneously gain power, then lose, then gain, etc.

My first inclination is that this is a power (electrical) issue. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but when it comes to electrical matters of this nature, I don't do so well because its just so difficult to nail down the problem.

I welcome any thoughts on what might be causing these problems. I just think its electrical, but I may be dead wrong. Anyone else with any experience like this? Thanks in advance for your comments.

seth
    Last edited by majorgator; 07-31-2011, 08:20 AM.

Bump

As an additional note, this is new boat, so the following items are all brand new:
    fuel/water separator
    fuel tank
    fuel bulb
    fuel line

seth

Comment

A induction timing light might give you an idea if it is loosing spark to one or more cylinders if you move the pick up to the different plug wires , but it could be fuel related also as too much or too little fuel /air mix can cause a cylinder not to fire properly.
      The best thing to do is Pick up a Yamaha service manual and start testing the ignition system and other systems as it says with the proper test equipment.

Comment

How long since fuel pump was checked/replaced? Check spark plugs when problem occurs for fuel-rich fouling or general condition. Is your fuel tank/system venting properly? Good luck and let us know what you find!

Comment

99 - I'll see about borrowing a light from the auto-parts store and try that out, maybe this weekend. I do have the Yamaha Service Manual for this year model, but it doesn't really have very much helpful information for this scenario.

robert - the fuel tank is properly vented with a 5/8" line and the routing is such that it will not hold anything (water or fuel). I have not checked the fuel pump, but I can do so this weekend. What would I specifically be looking for when I tear into it?

Top and Bottom spark plugs appear normal, but the middle plug does have a considerable amount of gunk on it. Perhaps there is one of my problems? I'm still just baffled as to why the problem will go away after simply restarting the engine?

seth

Comment

does your alarm system work correctly ?

Comment

I have a 1997 Yamaha C80 that has done the same thing and have found that the quick disconnect fuel fitting can cause this issue. It seems to be very tempermental at times as I think it is connected properly and does not leak while pumping primer bulb but is actually restricting fuel flow. I can reconnect and all is fine until I disconnect to run gas out of carbs. I would try a portable fuel tank and see if that solves your problem. I think you may be able to also check the overheat alarm by disconnecting sender and see if that is the problem and may be sending motor into rpm reduction, although I wouldn't run the motor very long with it disconnected. If you suspect CDI problems you can heat CDI unit with heatgun and see if motor starts acting up while running in a garbage can or tub. I've also heard of a product called freeze that you can buy at radio shack, this can be sprayed on electrical components to test for heat related issues.

Comment

JB - I'm not sure about the alarms, as I've never heard one on this motor. It is not oil injected, so no alarm for that, and I haven't experienced any overheating scenarios, so I just don't know.

Konrad - Thanks for the advice on the quick-connect. I ordered a new one yesterday, along fuel pump parts, head gaskets, and some other things. After I get all these pieces installed, I'll try messing with the temp sender.

I'm going to try and stab away at the (cheap) fuel solutions before messing with any electronics. I just learned that you can test the coils with a voltmeter. Has anyone ever tried this before?

Thanks to everyone for their input. Please feel free to continue to post your thoughts, and I'll update as I try to address the problem.

seth
                Last edited by majorgator; 08-07-2011, 07:01 AM.

Comment

personally i would bypass that fitting, run fuel line straight from separator to motor filter
                  to test buzzer, apply 12v and a ground to leads/remove lanyard with key on/touch thermosensor leads together

Comment

I also thought about removing quick connector but I need a way to run gas out of carbs when I don't plan on using boat for a while. You can also ground out the temperature sensor to check warning buzzer function.

Comment

Working...
                    X