Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 150etxf Fuel pump issue?

All.

I just dropped the boat in the water 2 weeks ago and the first day i couldn't get above 2k rpm.. Just sounded like it was starving. I have plans to remove the carbs and clean the jets but pushing it to winter since i got in so late. I ran some fuel cleaner in a pony tank and Seafoam Deep Creep in the carbs. Sat.. Soaked.. then run. It ran like a champ around 41k with some roughness. I assumed i fouled the plugs. So today I went down to clean them and this time when pumping hte primer ball i heard the gas shooting into the carbs. The ball no longer holds when i prime before starting. So it looks like I cleaned more than the carbs out. What is best bet replacing the diaphragms or the entire pump. Obviously my local Yamaha dealer wants pumps but what is really goig to be different if I change just the diaphragms.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

2k is where the safety reduction comes in, does your buzzer work? what type of gauges ?

Comment

buzzer works on low oil.. it ran like it was hitting rev limiter the first day but if i choked it up the motor came alive..

someone mentioned that my findings today may be stuck float but it just seems odd that they are all open?? or atleast on the top 4 carbs.. when i pumped the primer today i heard it pouring in .. i tilted the motor back and gas poured out of the top 4 carbs.. i quickly lowered the motor so i didnt really see if it was coming out of the bottom 2.

r

Comment

just thought of this.. when i choked the motor up it comes alive.. so it seemed like to was starving so i just assumed that it was dirty or clogged jets..

Comment

cleaning the carbs wont take too much time, maybe 1 hr each
          to check lp pumps, run motor, pump ball, if it bogs down you have a leaker
          OR unbolt, pump ball and if gas comes out of vac port, replace

Comment

what i was afraid of.. but no big deal.

i also wanted to add that today after i ran it i was unable to idle it.. it slowly just died.. after thinking about, after i ran it with the fuel cleaner thats how my other day ended as well. ..

r

Comment

Running a sick motor can and will smoke a piston so I recommend to do a compression test to start out with and then look a cleaning the carbs and fuel system

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                Running a sick motor can and will smoke a piston so I recommend to do a compression test to start out with and then look a cleaning the carbs and fuel system
                what compression numbers should i see.. i can try that later this week.

Comment

From what I understand, you not only need to thoroughly clean your carbs, but also replace your floats AND needle valves. Order the specific kit and replace these parts before you get into big trouble !

Comment

Working...
                  X