trouble with tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble with tach

Hey guys, thanks for listening. Got my '05 24' Champion bay going again after a 4 year lay up. Everything is doing just as it was 4 years ago except that the tach is not working. Has 4 wires hooked up. Blue is the light and is hot when nav lights are on. I am guessing the black is ground. Purple has full power when key is on and grey wire has power when engine is cranked.
    ('05 Yamaha 300 HPDI) With all that powering up where should I check next? Have tried tapping on tach with rubber mallet while engine running and nothing. Needle doesnt even move when key is turned on. Dont need it but have it and want it to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Try turning the switches on the tach back and forth to see if there is a bad connection

Comment

ya gotta a bass tird rig.
      as yamaha never used a gray or a purple in the tach circuit.
      who made the tach?
      its got aftermarket rigging NOT factory yamaha. this may make it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        ya gotta a bass tird rig.
        as yamaha never used a gray or a purple in the tach circuit.
        who made the tach?
        its got aftermarket rigging NOT factory yamaha. this may make it interesting.
        The gauges are all Faris except for the tach and speedo. They say Champion but I dont know if Faris made them for Champion or not.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Try turning the switches on the tach back and forth to see if there is a bad connection
          Im not sure I know what the switches are you are refering to. The switch for setting the time for revolutions, I just turned it back and forth and it did nothing. I have pulled the connections on and off several times and they look clean. Could the needle just be stuck in the down position from sitting so long. It wont even budge when the key is turned on. Wondering if I should take tach out and try and manually move the needle to see if it is froze up. What you think?
          Last edited by Baychamp; 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Nevermind guys,

Took it out and noticed it was sealed so took it to boat shop and was told its fried. $125 doesnt sound as bad as I thought. lol

Thanks again,

Mike

Comment

faria is italian for junk.
              have it correctly rigged with a 6y5 digital and you will have trim,hours,tach,and the visual alarm indicates for the oil system.

Comment

Working...
              X