high idle rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high idle rpm

I have a problem with one engine, Yamaha 85hp. I had a problem with the engine and thought that I had dirty carbs so I took them off and cleaned them but never touched the set screws. I installed them back with the OLD gaskets because people told me to check the fuel pump. I installed the new fuel pump on the engine and that problem is solved but now the idle rpm on that engine is like 1300-1400 rpm. The 3 carbs. are connected by a SS rod that control the idle. If I connect that rod to the center carb .and the lower carb. the idle rpm goes to 600-700 like its supposed to be but when I connect the upper carb. to that rod it pulls the butterfly a couple of mm and that's what accelerates the engine. How can I lower the rpm to where its supposed to be?

I was thinking that because I used the old gaskets they didn't sealed well between the block and one of the carbs and its sucking air and that's why my rpm is too high. What do you guy's think?

Thanks

The carbs never end up exactly where they were before as there are no indexing pins, so you need to do the link and sync procedure in your Yamaha service manual each time they are reinstalled

Comment

I don't have the manual. Where can I get that procedure?

Comment

I like the Yamaha service manuals, but others do not. I always thought that if the Yamaha techs use them then they must be good.
        You local Yamaha dealer should be able to get you one

Comment

Working...
        X