Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse gear chatter

Question,

I recently changed the impellar on my T8 outboard. Everything went ok and the motor runs fine. There is one problem. It seems to chatter a bit when I shift into reverse sometimes. I have to shove back harder on the shift handle to get it to fully engage in reverse. I'm guessing that the shift linkage is not set right. I tried to put it back in the same place and never had this problem before. Do I want to move that little nut on the linkage "up" so it lets that rod push the shift linkage down farther, or, do I have it adjusted to far "up" and need to move it "down" because the linkage is going passed whatever locks it in gear?

Yes it sounds like the shift shaft is not on right, need to reset it to get neutral position aligned back up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How do you reset the neutral position? I've looked at other yamaha 8 hp's and it looks like I have about the same amount of threads on that connector showing, but it still seems to chatter when I flip it into reverse. I did notice that when I throw it into forward (with the motor off of course) the propeller locks into gear. When I put it into neutral, it spins either way freely. When I flip it into reverse, the prop catchs/clicks a little until I really shove back on the handle, then it locks into gear. Do I need to diconnect the nut/linkage and move the part that goes into the lower case (with the threads on) to a certin position before I re-attach the upper portion?

Comment

Working...
      X