Good Puzzler - 220 special - no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Puzzler - 220 special - no spark

This is a good puzzler and all the common things have been addressed.

I am getting ready to turn key to start a recently rebuilt Yamaha 220, but there is no spark when cranked. The block was punched 0.020" over with new pistons/rings and bearings. The powerhead is assembled and back on the midsection. All electronics were marked before disassembly and are connected properly. I am using all the Yamaha wiring harnesses and they have tested good. I have traced ignition cut off and all the other most common things and they are fine. I can crank, but do not get any spark.

The following check fine (per factory manual):
    - Throttle position sensor- 20, 1 and 1 Ohm - good
    - knock sensor- good
    - Pulsar coil - good @ 360 Ohms all 6 ways)
    - Charge and lighting coils also fine
    - 6 coils- good
    - CDI unit- tested with VOM meter and all readings are good, even swapped with another motor and still no spark. I have no way of testing with the Yamaha 1-Y tester which I'm thinking I should do.

Bypassed computer control by way of under cowel connections, still no spark.

Since the motor is on a stand in my garage it's a little difficult to take to a dealer for diagnosis.

Since the motor ran before, I doubt anything would have failed. Any ideas??

D-

D,
    Check the ignition kill switch on the remote control - cycle it - pull the lanyard and reinstall the clip.
    Check all fuses under the motor hood - on my C115, there are two. You should have at least that many. Remove the fuses from their fuse holders and ohm out with ohm meter - check holders to make sure they are contacting each end of fuse.
    Good luck,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the reply Ken. I already started with the basics and moved into the more complex, fuses/wiring and switches. Hopefully more people will post on this and I will go through everything for the 3rd time with the additional suggestions. I will post my findings so everyone knows my outcome.

D-

Comment

yamaha 220 AETO fresh rebuild no Spark

Hi Guys

I know this is an old thread but I am in the exact same position, I have gone through all steps to correct any mishaps but still no spark, kill swith re wiring, CDI Ok Charge coil OK Pulser OK everything OK!

how did the last thread problem get solved back in 2005?

Thanks

Terry

Comment

No Spark

I had this problem with my 1986 115. It turned out to be the ground wire on the CDI unit. It was broke inside the insulation. Run new ground and all was good. Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
          X