no fire on bottom cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no fire on bottom cylinder

My 90HP '02 Yamaha is not firing on the bottom cylinder. The spark plug is new. What should I check 1st, the ignition coil? Can the computer itself cause one cylinder to not fire? The motor cranks and runs with just the top two cylinders firing but obviously not very well.

Mike

How do you know

How does one check this with timing light?

Comment

The motor starts and runs (poorly) with top two plugs connected but if I disconnect either of the top two it will not start. Also, fuel in the exhaust.

Comment

Well you should never run motor without having plug wires grounded

Never remove battery once motor is started. Even doing comp test you ground out plug wires to block while cranking. Maybe your cdi is fried from some feller messing around. I would also like to check spark but think best way is in water with running with test light maybe Rod will share his knowledge.

Comment

fuel in exhaust... have you checked low pressure pumps ?
          you can swap coils see if issue "moves"

Comment

Test spark with a spark tester to see if you have fire to bottom cylinder.

If you do have the proper spark then jb123 could be right with the fuel pump as that runs off of the bottom cylinder crankcaseand a leaking pump will flood #3
            Last edited by 99yam40; 05-08-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I had fuel in plastic carb cover

on bottom cyl, had to pour it out. I did replace the FP and checked it again and no fuel in cover. This is new motor to me so who knows how it got there. 2000 90hp

Comment

Originally posted by 200090tlry View Post
                on bottom cyl, had to pour it out. I did replace the FP and checked it again and no fuel in cover. This is new motor to me so who knows how it got there. 2000 90hp

200090tlry This thread was started by MikeFaircloth about not firing on the bottom cylinder. If you have a problem then start a thread on it, it is not proper and gets confusing if people start adding different questions to other peoples posts

Comment

My post was to show what might be wrong with his motor

He said he found fuel so must not be firing. I then posted how do you know for sure. Your right spark plug tester might be good check. Where can someone get one

Comment

Originally posted by 200090tlry View Post
                    So what does this post have to do with his problem?

Comment

Lol

He assumes there is no spark without doing proper check. Just because he found fuel in the exhaust does not mean it's no fire situation. Do I have to spell it out lol.

Comment

Maybe you need to spell it out, because stating you found fuel in a place that has nothing to do with the fuel pump,and have no idea how it got there,but replaced your fuel pump does not make any sense in my opinion and has nothing to do with his problem.

Comment

gees, I am confused on this one, not too sure who has a problem, the oringinal poster or 200090, I'm with 99yam, spell out whatever you are trying to get across, also not sure where disconnecting the battery while running came from.

Comment

Working...
                          X