To rebuild or repower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To rebuild or repower?

I recently received some disheartening news from my mechanic... my 1997 v4 130hp has a bad bearing, in at least the number 2 cylinder . The compression is spot on perfect all around, but he says the cost to rebuild the old motor is not worth it. It is currently running and still pushes the boat over 35mph, but I dont normally run at WOT, as he suggested its not a good idea with the condition it is in.

Also, there is a plug on the port side of the tilt/trim that shows some major corrosion. According to him this part will blow out and costs around $2500 to replace.

His advice is to repower with a low hour four stroke 150 (hull is rated to 175hp), if I can find it, and should expect to pay around $6-7000.

My questions are:
    1. What should a rebuild on this power head cost?
    2. Is he right about cost of tilt/trim?
    3. Given age of the motor is it worth anything if I trade it in, what should I get for it?
    4. Are rebuilt motors worth it?
    5. How difficult would it be (require any special tools) to go in and spend a weekend myself replacing these bearings?

Depends on what you want

Depends on what you can afford or need. Me I would run what you brung. Maybe add more oil in tank. Hell even if you blew it you can get powerhead for it. Or find someone that can put new bearings in. If tilt and trim works keep it that way. Him saying it can blow is like saying that New Honda Civic could blow. yeah it could lol.

Comment

Working...
    X